Meet the team!
Church School Value.
Term 1 - Respect
Please ensure children come to school in their P.E kits on a Tuesday every week. Children need both indoor and outdoor clothing and footwear in order for us to benefit fully from our P.E Lessons.
1D currently have 2 P.E sessions a week:
Outdoor: Tuesday PM - Cycle skills
Indoor: Tuesday PM - Athletics
Term 1 – Super Heroes
We have had a brilliant start to the topic.
We have invented our own Super heroes.
We also looked at real life heroes. We made fire engines, police stations and had a go at being a nurse.
In English we used the story 'Supertato'. Year 1 acted out the story.
We then made Supertato out of fresh vegetables.
We all designed our own super hero and made them out of vegetables and fruits.
We are all really proud of them.
We are learning about numbers in maths and getting active whilst doing so!
Reading and Phonics
The phonics screening check is taken individually by all children in Year 1 in England. It is designed to give teachers and parents information on how your child is progressing in phonics. You can help support your child by reading with them and allowing them to read their book to you. We ask that our children read to an adult daily. Please record your child’s daily reading in their reading diary so that we can see how they are getting on.
How to support your child at home.
- Read every day with your child.
- Read to your child to model expression.
- Give them time to read to a pet or a sibling.
- Read comics, menus, signs, leaflets, posters, labels in supermarkets and a variety of books.
- Use an ipad to record your child reading, allow them to look back at it and discuss what they liked about it.
- Eye spy with phonemes for example I spy something with the phoneme ‘a-e’ they might say snake. It has the ‘a - e’ sound in it.
- Word hunt – post it notes around the house with words on for them to find.
- Write on the pavement with chalk or in sand.
We welcome volunteers to listen to readers. Please contact your child’s class teacher if you would like to support us with this.